Wednesday, August 10, 2011


Gee, can you believe - two posts in two days after the big gap? Well, there is a fantastic new technique by Shelly Hickox that you can find on her blog and I couldn't wait to try it. The technique is called Faux Crazed Porcelain - it is simple to do and yields great results. On Shelly's blog you can see the photo of her tutorial sample that shows how glossy the finished "Porcelain" looks. I scanned my bookplates, and unfortunately you can't see the gloss.

The frames are done with Ranger Crackle Paint in Tarnished Brass and Brushed Pewter. After it was dry, I rubbed it with a Ranger black paint dabber, then wiped with a paper towel. They look great in person. The tags were cut from white chipboard using the Tim Holtz Tag and Bookplates die. Stamps are by River City Rubber Works and Nick Bantock. Of course the centers were made using Shelly's Faux Crazed Porcelain technique. Be sure to go look and try it!

You should be able to click on the picture for a closer inspection. Ranger Crackle Paint is magic in a bottle!

Cathy Y

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Umbrella Man Tag

Good morning, Tim Holtz fans! Long time, no post. But here I am, back again with a tag that I am very happy with. I included two pictures, one with flash & one without. One shows better color and the other shows better detail. My inspiration for this tag was Tim's day 12 Christmas tag from 2010.

My "live, local" card swap group, the Card'Ologists, had our 10th anniversary this month. So instead of making a card, I made this totally Tim tag for each member. I typed the phrase "Card'Ologists 10th Anniversary" repeatedly using lots of different fonts and font sizes. That was printed on Paper Trey cream colored card stock. Using Tim's Tag and Book Plates die, I was able to cut 3 tags from each 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. Using that same die, the reinforcement was cut from Grunge Paper. The Umbrella Man was cut from Grunge Paper, colored with Distress Stains, stamped with the Simple Stripes Stampin' Up bacground stamp, and sprayed with Inkadinkadoo Black shimmery spray ink. The rose pieces and leaf stem were cut from retired Stampin' Up Marvelous Magenta card stock (rose) and Stardream green card stock (leaves) using older Sizzix dies. The rose pieces were stamped with the Flannel Plaid Stampin' Up bacground stamp. The green Stardream metallic card stock didn't want to accept ink on the edges, so I used a dark brown Sharpie Marker. EVERYTHING was distressed around the edges with various colors of Distress Ink pads. The leaves and roses were pounced with Ranger gold Ink Dabber. I printed the calendar I found on line with brown ink on Curious Metallics White Gold card stock. the "10" digits were cut from Curious Metallics gold card stock using an alphabet set by Cuttlebug. For the last detail, I looped 5 coordinating fibers through the reinforcment at the top of the tag.

I hope you enjoy looking at this tag as much as I enjoyed making them!
Cathy Yamashita